FULL PERFORMANCE WITH OPTIONAL EXHIBIT
Productions involve: pianist fees; travel/per diem for 2 pianists plus 3 narrators; scripts tailored to the venue; multimedia projections and sound; optional accompanying Exhibit with site-specific exhibit design; performance video recording; print materials (posters or flyers; performance program; exhibit brochure); PR, advertising, and other audience building; logistics management; license fees; and post-production video/audio editing. Local venues and sponsors collectively have provided (in kind or cash) about half the full costs of each production, with Papers Please Two Pianos Project support through a mix of U.S. tax-deductible contributions and other funding. Strong local support is critical to successful outcomes, both financially and to secure an audience.
Local venue criteria
• A secure performance space to accommodate 150-500 audience members.
• A secure “green room” for performer preparation/personal items.
• An auditorium or platform with raised stage sufficient to accommodate 2 grand pianos plus narrators (stage at least 25’ [8 m] wide).
• If pertinent, secure adjacent space, display cases and floor plan to present Two Pianos Exhibit materials, (which may include up to six standing 7’ (2 m) two-sided retractable panels, physical artifacts, and 4 battery-powered tablet units running video-loop excerpts related to performance or exhibit).
• Appropriate adjacent space and facilities for a light post-performance reception.
• Available piano(s) of appropriate quality (plus tuners), plus 5 adjustable music stands.
• TV monitors or projection screens.
• Appropriate lighting.
• Integrated audio-visual system, including remote projector; ability to coordinate projection images with script; ability to deploy 5 wired or wireless microphones, without audio feedback; ability to record direct from sound system (if necessary); centralized controls.
• Sufficient technical support personnel with English-language capability, to communicate with performers and operate the above.
• At least 1 day of venue availability for set-up, artist practice time, rehearsals and full technical run-throughs, plus post-performance scheduling for take-down.
Local sponsor criteria
• Designate coordinator to: select performance and exhibit venues; schedule main/satellite events; identify and secure local donors for cash or in-kind services; communicate with Papers Please on anticipated levels of budget support; plan and manage event logistics and action items; identify sub-contractors (e.g., equipment operators, local printer, videographer, photographer) if/as needed.
• Manage public relations activities, including channels for social media, local print/radio-TV press releases, posters or flyers, performance invitations, RSVP tracking, following up press contacts, related matters.
• Provide support staff to assist with exhibit set-up, security, installation, and take-down.
• Provide exhibit tables or cases with covers (“bonnets”), if/as required.
Full-length professional videos of full Two Pianos performances, plus a series of highlights videos that may be combined in various ways, may make possible a 'virtual performance' that avoids much of the cost and complexity of a live production.
Audience Q & A, Philadelphia